We will only use the personal data gathered over this website as set out in this policy. Below you will find information on how we use your personal data, for which purposes your personal data is used, with whom it is shared and what control and information rights you may have.
Summary of our processing activities
We publish scholarly open access journals in Science Technology and Medicine. The articles published in our journals are accessible for free. The following summary offers a quick overview of the data processing activities that are undertaken on our website. You will find more detailed information under the indicated sections below.
- When you visit our website for informational reasons without setting up an account, only limited personal data will be processed to provide you with the website itself.
- If you are identified as belonging to a customer organization then we collect information in order to be able to provide usage reporting to that customer.
- In case you register for one of our services, use the submission and peer review systems or subscribe to our newsletters, further personal data will be processed in the scope of such services.
- Furthermore, your personal data will be used to provide you with relevant advertising for our services and products and for statistical analysis that helps us to improve our website.
- We have implemented appropriate safeguards to secure your personal data and retain your personal data only if necessary.
- Under the legislation applicable to you, you may be entitled to exercise certain rights with regard to the processing of your personal data.
Personal data means any information related to a natural person who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, or an online identifier.
Processing: means any operation which is performed on personal data, such as collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation or any kind of disclosure or other use.
Informational use of the website
When you visit our website for accessing informational reasons, i.e. without registering for any of our provided services and without providing us with personal data in any other form, we may automatically collect additional information about you which will contain personal data only in limited cases and which is automatically recognized by our server, such as your IP address; your device type, name and IDs; the date and time of your requests; the content of your requests; information on your browser version; your screen resolution; information on your operating system, including language settings.
This information collected by us will be used only to assist us in providing an effective service, and to collect broad demographic information for anonymized, aggregated use.
It is not necessary for you to register with us to access this Site. However, we may collect, use, store and transfer some information from interactive features such as contact and registration forms and online surveys, which may include different kinds of personal data about you:
- Identity Data includes first name, last name, username or similar identifier, marital status, title, date of birth and gender.
- Professional Data Education, nationality, and professional background information
- Contact Data includes billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Financial Data includes bank account and payment card details.
- Transaction Data includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
- Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this Site.
- Profile Data includes your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your interests, preferences, feedback, and survey responses.
- Usage Data includes information about how you use our Site, products, and services.
- Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
We also collect, use, and share Aggregated Data such as statistical or demographic data for any purpose. Aggregated Data may be derived from your personal data but is not considered personal data in law as this data does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity. However, If we combine or connect Aggregated Data with your personal data so that it can directly or indirectly identify you, we treat the combined data as personal data which will be used in accordance with this privacy notice.
We do not collect any Special Categories of Personal Data about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health and genetic and biometric data), nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences.
Sensitive personal data: If collecting or storing sensitive personal data such as information relating to health, beliefs, or political affiliation, we typically ask for your explicit consent. However, there are some situations where it will not be possible to request consent, such as if you have an accident at one of our events. If this does occur, we will ensure your privacy rights are protected.
If you fail to provide personal data: Where we need to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with goods or services). In this case, we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us, but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
How we use your personal data
We are committed to delivering a relevant and useful experience to you. Depending on how you interact with us and the service, we use your personal information to:
- Provide, activate, and manage your access to and use of the Service
- Process and fulfil a request, order, download, subscription, or other transaction
- Offer you customized content and other personalization to make the Service more efficient for you and more relevant to your interests and geography
- Enhance and improve the Service, such as add new content and features
- Notify you about changes, updates and other announcements related to the Service
- Deliver targeted advertisements, promotional messages, and other information related to the Service and to your interests
- Provide technical, product and other support and help to keep the Service working, safe and secure; and/or
- Identify usage trends and develop data analysis, including for the purposes of research, audits, reporting and other business operations, such as to pay royalties and license fees to third-party content providers, determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, evaluate our business performance, or in other ways pursuant to a customer agreement.
We may also use your personal information to:
- Respond to your requests, inquiries, comments, or concerns
- Conduct and administer user testing and surveys as well as sweepstakes, competitions, and similar promotions
- Provide you with relevant promotional messages and other information about products, events and services of ours, our group companies and third parties such as societies and sponsors
- Enhance and improve our products, events and services and develop new ones; and/or
- Comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements
The legal basis for the data transfer is Art. 28 GDPR in conjunction with the data processing agreement.
We have reasonable state of the art security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of personal data under our control. For example, our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorized personnel have access to personal data. Whilst we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse, or alteration of information will never occur, we use all reasonable efforts to prevent it.
You should bear in mind that submission of information over the internet is never entirely secure. We cannot guarantee the security of information you submit via our website whilst it is in transit over the internet and any such submission is at your own risk.
We strive to keep our processing activities with respect to your personal data as limited as possible. In the absence of specific retention periods set out in this policy, your personal data will be retained only for as long as we need it to fulfil the purpose for which we have collected it and, if applicable, as long as required by statutory retention requirements.
As per the legislation applicable to you, you may be entitled to exercise some or all of the following rights:
- Right of access: You shall have the right to obtain from us confirmation as to whether or not personal data concerning you are being processed, and, where that is the case, access to the personal data and certain information.
- Right to rectification: You shall have the right to obtain from us without undue delay the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning you. Considering the purposes of the processing, you shall have the right to have incomplete personal data completed, including by means of providing a supplementary statement.
- Right to erasure: You shall have the right to obtain from us the erasure of personal data concerning you.
- Right to restriction of processing: You shall have the right to obtain from us the restriction of processing.
- Right to data portability: You shall have the right to receive the personal data concerning you, which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and you shall have the right to transmit those data to another controller without hindrance from us. You shall also have the right to have the personal data transmitted directly from us to another controller, where technically feasible.
- Right to object: You shall have the right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time to processing of personal data concerning you, which is based on legitimate interests or for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.
In such case, we shall no longer process the personal data unless we demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing, which override your interests, rights and freedoms or where the processing is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
- Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority: Without prejudice to any other administrative or judicial remedy, you shall have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the Member State of your habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement if you consider that the processing of personal data relating to you infringes.
The information you provide when contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org will be processed to handle your request and will be erased from our database once your request is completed. Alternatively, we will restrict the processing of the respective information in accordance with statutory retention requirements.
Amendments to this policy